Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am trying to find out if IRS and California Franchise Tax…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out if IRS and California Franchise Tax liens have expired as well as a civil judgement

Accountant's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Both state and federal liens were filed as well as the abstract of judgement on the civil case but I believe that expired in 2016 but not sure.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Lol...how much?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am showing the last abstract of judgement recorded in San Luis Obispo County 4/25/06. While I know liens were filed by tax agencies, I do not know when they were originally recorded. They would have likely been recorded in Orange County, CA.
Answered in 6 days by:
7/5/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Generally, IRS tax liens expire after 10 years and CA FTB tax liens expire after 20 years.

My best advice would be to check with the Orange County, CA recorder's office to obtain copies of the tax liens and abstract of judgment and any subsequent filings pertaining to those items.

You will then know whether they have expired.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.