Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can i check a business for liens, tax delinquencies,

judgements, and just to generally...
How can i check a business for liens, tax delinquencies, judgements, and just to generally make sure they are doing things legitimately and paying their taxes etc. before purchasing this business?
6/27/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

If the business is registered (LLC, Corporation, S-Corp) They also have some partnership data too - you might want to try this.

...

Experian Business Services

...

You can also check with the courty recorder's office to see if there are any liens

...

Also, depending on the state, you may be able to (this is for tax liens) visit the Secretary of State's website for your state. Click the link for "UCC Search" or "Lien Filings." Enter the individual's name, business name or property address in the search box and press "Enter" to look up tax liens

And while while Equifax, Experian and TransUnion are the three main sources for consumer credit, and they can help with business credit too, your best bet is to search at Dun and Bradstreet. Dun and Bradstreet is the source to go to for business credit information: Here's one of their services for monitoring the business of others

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS