Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Why does my divorced wife receive more financial benefits…

Why does my divorced...

Why does my divorced wife receive more financial benefits than I do? I thought I would receive which ever the greater was?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I STARTED RECEIVING BENEFITS BEFORE HER AND WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT MY BENEFITS WOULD BE WHICH EVER WAS GREATER. HERS OR MINE?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

WE ARE DIVORCED AFTER 27 YRS OF MARRIAGE

6/27/2017
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hi. Great Question. If she was eligible for retirement benefits on her own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, she will be paid her retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your record is higher, she gets an additional amount on your record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.
The only thing I can think of is that her social security on her own record is higher.
Yours should have done the same when you first collected. However, her social security account may have had a lower amount in it when you collected social security vs. when she first became eligible for social security.
Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any way that I can use her social security now that she has started collecting it. As I said before, hers is greater than mine. I started collecting it at age 62 three years ahead of her.
Hi. At 62, you usually get 75% of the benefit. Are you 66 or older?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is 65 and soon (July 6) Ill be 69.
You can try to get your amount re-adjusted. I would make an appointment with SoCal Security. There is an office locator at https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp
ABC Accounting Group
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will I need an attorney to do this and will they back pay from when she started collecting?