Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My daughter filed for head of household and her 17 year old…

My daughter filed for...

My daughter filed for head of household and her 17 year old daughter made4 $4000What is the limit on her child's earnings to file as head of household?

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What more do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

I don't know what else it would be.

6/27/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

There is no limit on earnings specifically.

...

here re two tests whereby one can take a dependency exemption for an individual, which satisfies the Qualifying person test for Head of Household.

...

(1) Qualifying child, and

(2) Qualifying relative or other person

...

Here's the test for qualifying child:

...

Form IRS:

...

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests: (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

• Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

It's the qualifying relative test that income of the qualifying person is a specific number.

...

See this: (from here: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/table_2_dependency_exemption_relative_4012.pdf

...

"Did the person have gross income of less than $4,050 in 2016" (This is the same number for 2017 - the amount of the personal exemption)

So even under the Qualifying relative test, if the child didn't qualify under the qualifying child test, the 4000 would be under the 4050 limit. (on both tests - as far as support or income goes) she qualifies.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS