Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

North carolina property taxes. Does NC use an assessed value

or market value for tax...
north carolina property taxes. Does NC use an assessed value or market value for tax assessment? I'm a disabled veterans and I understand that NC forgives $45,000 of the value but I don't know which value
6/27/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

North Carolina uses the assessed value, as per the county property assessors office

...

In north Carolina, however, that assessed value IS what the assessor believes IS fair market value.

...

In North Carolina, all property subject to assessment must be assessed “at its true value in money,” or fair market value (N.C. Gen. Stat. § 105-283).

...

The Machinery Act defines “true value” as “the price estimated in terms of money at which the property would change hands between a willing and financially able buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell, and both having reasonable knowledge of all the uses to which the property is adapted and for which it is capable of being used.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Thanks for your help.
You're very welcome
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS