Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

When you have filed for social security retirement benefits…

Customer Question
When you have filed...

When you have filed for social security retirement benefits do you receive them retroactively from the day you file?

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My husband filed in may this year

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
6/21/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Yes, From §1513.2:

...

"You are entitled to benefits beginning the first month in the retroactive period that you meet all requirements (except for the filing of an application) for entitlement. For example, suppose you reach FRA in March 2008 and you are fully insured. You do not file an application for retirement insurance benefits until March 2009. In this case, you may be entitled retroactively beginning with the month of September 2008 (six months before you filed an application)."

...

This does not apply, however, if you are retiring early (or filed to start benefits AT Full Retirement Age- FRA)

...

But they will pay back TO that first FRA filing - typically takes about three months to get the benefits started

You can read more about this here: SOCIAL SECURITY HANDBOOK

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986

Tax Professional: marc-cssm,
 replied 11 months ago
marc-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/tax/ahxp4-when-filed-social-security-retirement-benefits.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.

Did you see my answer?

...

The answer is yes. However, they will only go back six months if you are filing 6 months or more AFTER FRA (Full Retirement Age)

...

I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit"), so I will be compensated.

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS