Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a sole proprietor loans money to his schedule C does the…

Customer Question
If a sole proprietor loans...
If a sole proprietor loans money to his schedule C
does the loan increase his basis in the business and when the
business is closed, can the unrepaid loans be taken as a
loss ?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
6/20/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 10 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. You would not be able to loan money to the proprietorship. The individual and sole proprietor are one the same. The $100,000 would add to the amount at risk for the individual. If the business cannot repay this amount it would likely be a business loss.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney