Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I live with my parents and have earned income (21,000 a

I live with my parents and have earned income (21,000 a year) and a child living with me, do I quality for EIC
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I thought I have read that if you do not provide the home for your child, you cannot qualify for EIC
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: no

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

You're probably thinking of the qualifying relative rules... for the earned income credit the qualifying CHILD rules apply.

...

And the only suport issue there is that they (the child) must not have provided more than 1/w of their OWN support

...

See this from IRS:

...

Tto be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

• Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
as long as I have provided more that 1/2 of my own support, I can claim my child as a dependent and get the EIC?

No, the CHILD must not have provided more than 1/2 of THEIR OWN support

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm confused. My child and I live with my parents. I earn 21,000 a year. I claim my child as my dependent on my tax return. Am I also entitled to EIC? My thought was that since I am not providing a home for my child, I would not be eligible for it. I do spend my money for clothes, food, etc for me and my child. Basically all my parents provide is shelter.

just read the test abobe literally .... you just have to have the SAME residence

...

I think youre there

So sorry ... was going into a meeting an trying to do that on the phone (just got out)

...

What I typed SO badly .. was ... You have to read the 4 part test above very literally. It just says " has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year."

...

I'ts not that you have to be providing the home. You just have to be living together.

..

So if the child is under 19, didn't provide more than half of his/her support, and is your child too .. then you DO get the credit.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane