Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a lost refund check from a 2014 amended return. Last…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a lost refund check from a 2014 amended return. Last I spoke with someone, they were initiating a trace. That was two months ago. I should have had my refund in March. I don't know how to get ahold of anyone for help with this.

Accountant's Assistant: The expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?

I don't think so.

6/7/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Your claim for a missing refund is processed one of two ways:

• If the check wasn't cashed, you'll receive a replacement check once the original check is canceled.
  • If the refund check was cashed, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. BFS will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether they can issue you a replacement check. The BFS review can take up to six weeks to complete.

If you spoke with someone about a trace you can recall and see if there is an update on that. Call (###) ###-####(toll-free) and speak with an agent.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, thank you. What I really need is to be able to reach an agent. I have tried that line several times and cannot get through to a person. The automated responses are not able to address my issue.

I will see if they have another line published, one moment.....................................

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If there is any way to get through to a person to look up my case, that is what I need.

The only other number would be the general line(###) ###-#### Then there is the local office. An agent there could check.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you please give me the information on the local office? I am in North Salt Lake, UT.

Yes, one moment

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Does it matter that when I filed the amendment, I was not in North Salt Lake?

No, that is the office closest to you but they are still all IRS and closely connected. They should be able to either tell you if there is progress or give you a contact.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I guess all I can do is make an appointment with my local office. Thank you.

You are most welcome.

Let me know how it goes.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4