Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have an installment agreement question, I owe less than

I have an installment agreement...
I have an installment agreement question
JA: The expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I owe less than 1000 from previous years taxes federal..now we owe more for this year...I can pay off the old one first..but can I still do an installment agreement without a filed tax lien on the new one..and if so what are the dollar values..10k or 25k balances owed?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: We are a PLLC...this is personal taxes..the old one is from an old business years ago..that they had filed a lien on..but that lien was relased.actually dismissed a while ago.. ayment of the old one..I am not sure if they have already filed a lien on the newest year 2016..and I am sure I just saw my credit report yesterday all 3 bureaus..
6/7/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name 's Lane

...

Yes, you can include the new balance (tax liability) in your current installment agreement. There will only be one installment agreement which includes all of the tax years that you owe.

...

You should contact the IRS as soon as possible to have it included because a new balance will automatically default your current agreement (it is one of the terms and conditions.)

...

You can call them at 1-***-***-**** or go to a local office. Or, you can submit another Form 9465, and include all of the tax years that you owe with the request to have the new tax year included. It is important to have the new tax year included because collection will start on the new tax year, if it is not added to the agreement.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice since 1986.

Ok Lane..one follow up..How do I know if I am already too late to combine them.or is it best that I pay off the very small one..and then how many dollars..? $25000 max can a tax debt installment agreement be..and NOT have the IRS relfile a new tax lien..Here is the very important issue..We are just now adding a second dental office location..and so if this tax lien is field at all..I am very concerned that it will kill the new office loan..and as a result the entire project...

If you're talking about 2016 taxes, and you didn't' make a payment with an extension, then you DO have a balance, and are in (or will be shortly, if they haven't for some reason) default.

...

I would certainly pay off the 1000 ... much cleaner that way

...

Then you can set up another as long as the amouint is less than $50,000 ($25,000 is for business taxes)

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Phone call session started
hi Lane..can I actually talk directly with you..please..I need a feeling of comfort here..yes we didi file an extension through my accountant..but..he said we only can do an instllment agreement if my balance was under 10k??

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/payment-plans-installment-agreements

...

You may be eligible to apply for an online payment agreement

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS