Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax question for California: Someone claimed my dependents

Tax question for California:Someone claimed...
Tax question for California:Someone claimed my dependents in 2015, and I was unable to file electronically and was not sure how to fight it so I have not filed yet.How do I prove I am the custodial parent?I have document from child support stating that i am custodial parent, and I had the children for 190 days/nights in 2015.Also, I believe my AGI will have been higher as well.Also what documents do I need to file with my return?
6/4/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You would not generally need to send the proof with your return but instead wait for the IRS to request the items form you but you can send copies of :
Birth certificates or other official documents of birth, marriage certificates, letter from an authorized adoption agency, letter from the authorized placement agency, or applicable court document that verify your relationship to the child (send these documents only for a qualifying child who is not your natural or adopted child).

To show both you and your child lived together at the same address or addresses for more than half of 2015, send either: • School, medical, daycare, or social service records. • A letter on the official letterhead from a school, medical provider, social service agency, or place of worship that shows names, common address and dates. (If you send a letter from a relative who provides your daycare, you MUST send at least one additional letter that provides proof.)

Thank you

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating credits me with assisting you.

a letter from the child support agency, where it specifically states I'm custodial parent isn't enough?

No, the proof that the child was living with you is needed.

Well our court order stipulates the schedule, however, due to holiday schedules, which supercede the regular schedule, the time is not 50/50. Instead I usually end up with 55/45 or 60/40.

Then that is what you show. A calendar which logged the dates would be best

My mom provides day care/pick ups and drop offs, I can send a letter from her, but I would still need proof from another source?
Ok I have all of the days they were with me in my mobile calendar, do I just need to print that?

Yes, that list with the other items would help the IRS make their determination.

Ok. Separate question. In 2015 I took a lump sum distribution form my 401k after being laid off. It was 20k. But I paid 4K in fed and 400 in state taxes.i received a 1099r as well.Additionally, I paid about 3k federal income tax, plus 2600 in Medicare tax. And almost 1k in state income tax.When i attempted to report this in my 1040, it seemed like the software was not accounting for the 4K in taxes I paid for my 401k.Shouldn't I be able to deduct from that tax as well?Also, I was filing as head of household with two dependents.

That is a different subject an you are really supposed to complete this question by rating and then posting your new question. If you entered the tax that was withheld then I am sure whatever program you used added that to the other withholding you had. You can check that by adding any tax withheld that shows on any 1099R or W2 as federal tax withheld. That should equal what was reported on your tax return.

You are most welcome.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Thank you.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4