Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

On a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065), under item H there is box for…

On a Schedule K-1 (Form...
On a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065), under item H there is box for "Domestic Partner." I just want to confirm the definition of "Domestic Partner" in the context of this form and on what occasion that box would be checked?
6/2/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

A domestic partner is not a nonresident alien individual, foreign partnership, foreign corporation, or a foreign estate or trust the Domestic Partner box is checked.
A Domestic Partner is a US person or US entity.

Ok. For example, if gay couple is listed under item F (both people) and under item H they check Domestic Partner; that does not relate to the couple's relationship correct? For more clarification, let say under item G, the box for Limited Partner or other LLC member is checked, and under Item I1 where it says "what type of entity is this partner?", "Individual" is typed in.

It has nothing to do with "relationships".

It only is who this partner is in the business. Is the person that received the K1 a US person or a foreign person is all it means

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4