Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The IRS called and said I had a tax credit for 2013- $5400.

JA: The Accountant will know...
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I did not work in 2013. I did not file a 1099 on some capital gains that I used to by my home. So...I did not know I had to. So now I need to file that regardless of the credit. They said to receive the credit, I need to file. I was not trying to do anything wrong. My stock and bonds, that I sold fro Ameriprise were worth about 50 K cash.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no-I do things right. I just did not file because I sent the reports to IRS and thought all was good.
5/31/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

There's something not right. First the IRS would never call you to tell you that you have an unused credit. You have to file a claim the credit, the IRS would not volunteer such information to you, it would not be in their best interest. Second, 2013 is expired year, meaning it is too late to get a refund or claim a credit from that year. Even if you filed you will not get the credit.

well they sent me the print out for the dividends I received from Ameriprise
My feeling is maybe I owe. I mean gosh, If I do then why didn't they just tell me and I will pay.

Did the IRS send you a official notice telling you how much you owe, what had been corrected and what your options are?

are you there

If you sold some stock and did not file a return, the IRS most likely assumed the entire proceeds as taxable income and the amount is what you owe, not what you should get. Have you received a noticed looking like this one: http://thetaxlawyer.com/sites/default/files/pictures/xirs-notice-cp21e-pg1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.PhHUy7h7o6.jpg

No-I did NOT get a bill from IRS. They called me and said you have a credit. I said great! They said but you will have to file a tax return. I said. I sent you reports from Ameriprise. They said to get your credit you will have to fill out a tax return. We will send you report with capital gains. I said OK. I received that, but did not get a bill. They repeated that it was a credit but to get it, I would have to fill out a tax return? The woman even said, hmmmm....this doesn't seem like you should have a credit.
She hung up. Then I called back and a man told me he would send me report. He did. But, no, no one has sent me a bill. EVER.
Should I go back and fill out an old return for 2013? I mean honestly I do not want trouble,
They said if you do not file a claim you cant get your credit.
I would rather leave it alone than have to go back and deal with this.
I mean can they go back to 2013?

The IRS would NOT call you to tell you that you have a credit for the expired year. Whoever called you is most likely trying to gain access to your private information. The IRS do not call people out of the blue, the IRS always communicate via correspondence.

Did the caller told you to use a specific service or mail your return to a specific address? I have not heard about this type of scam by the scammers are creative these days, I would not be surprised if this would be their new tactic.

well I got a letter from the IRS five days later with the capital gains info
Letter head IRS
is this a scam

Could be. Does the letter look like the one above? The IRS generally do not wait over 3 years to send you a notice of deficiency.

there is no letter of deficiency. It is information I was told to request.
It does not say I have a credit or that I owe it is a Form 5498 (copy of my retirement contributions and capital gains from 2013
Signed with a stamp...Patricia LaPosta
Electronic Products and SVCS Support
No. The IRS called and said I could not claim my tax credit unless I filed a return for 2013.
I told them that I needed the reports from Ameriprise to file a 1099 or whatever form I would use to report the on

Tax credit for what year? 2013 or later?

2013

You cannot claim a credit for 2013 any more. The statute of limitation for claiming a credit expired on April 15, 2017.

Whoever called you, it was not the IRS.

But the letter does not mention the credit or any bill. It is just a recount of what I did with Ameriprise in 2013.
creepy fake letter from IRS then with my old Ameriprise account info.

I have no idea why the IRS would send you copy of 5498, that does not make sense. But if it is not a notice, than ignore it for now.

I checked the IRA account number they have and it is wrong.
If I owe from 2013 would not I have heard already?
OK thanks. I am going to ignore until further notice.
I will be billed one time for this. right?
I do not want the trial with your company, OK

If there's a deficiency, the IRS contacts people by notice within 12 month of the filing deadline, which was April 2015. They usually do not wait 3 years and than causally send a copy of a old form. If you really owed the IRS would be knocking on your door with tax lien by now.

I am so gullible, but this form is elaborate
thanks

I have no control over the billing, but I will the customer service know.

Don't feel bad. Scammers use sophisticated methods to gain access to personal information. Even experienced tax professionals failed to recognize a fake letter.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser