Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need step-by-step instructions in completing an IRS form…

Hello, I need step-by-step instructions...
Hello, I need step-by-step instructions in completing an IRS form 8802 for a single-member LLC that has elected to be taxed as an S-corp. Please help!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Specific questions:
1. This is a company, so applicant name will be for the LLC, correct?
2. Since this is an LLC/S-corp, the TIN will be the EIN, correct?Line-by-line trouble spots:
Line 4: What should I check? I am a single-member LLC elected to be taxed as an S-corp. Should I mark letter f "S corporation" or mark letter i "Disregarded entity: LLC" or "Disregarded entity: Other: S-corp"
Line 5: I am applying for the current year (2017-2018). As such, I have not filed a U.S. Tax form yet, although I will have to file a 1120S. What do I mark here? "YES: 1120s" or "NO, and if so, what reasoning"? If I say No, what do I fill in on line 6?
Line: 10:Which penalties of perjury statement do I submit from 8802 Instructions, Table 2 of the perjury statement.There may be follow ups, but these are the questions
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/17/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. Lane here

...

I think you mean 8832?

...

And if you're simply electing S-Corp taxation for the LLC you'll use form 2553. 8832 is no longer necessary for this.

...

You would use 8832 for C-Corp election

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Lane, please see my question above -- I'm seeking advice regarding IRS Form 8802 - Application for US Residency certification. Can you help me with that?

So sorry, saw the information about corporations and made the bad assumption that you meant 8832... and that you were trying TO elect S-Corp status.

...

Bear with me a moment

...

Can you tell me first, what the purpose is here? Why the certificate is needed?

OK I'll go ahead here. Yes the name of the organization is used, and the EIN is the TIN

...

You'll check S-Corp (F) on line 4 (Once you have elected S-Corp status you are no longer a disregarded entity)

...

ON 5 check no and state that you will be filing the tax return before due date (Mar 2018)

...

[Insert name of shareholder and TIN] is a U.S. resident and will continue to be throughout the current tax year, and [as the officer of the S-Corp able to bind the S-Corp], [Insert name of S corporation and EIN] was not in existence during 2016 and the entity classification was granted on [insert date] and has not changed

Note that, (from https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/form-6166-certification-of-u-s-tax-residency ) we see the following:

...

NOTE: This statement is required of all taxpayers in this situation. In some instances, the taxpayer will not have been a resident for the prior year and therefore will only attest to residency status in the current year.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Phone call session started