Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I received a call from someone presenting themselves as the

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** received a call from someone presenting themselves as the IRS that I have a lawsuit against me. Te
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: They said I could go to a local store and verify the case. They gave me a case number ***** CP10173T
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't do my taxes, my husband has done them for the past twenty years.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

The IRS reminds people that they can know pretty easily when a supposed IRS caller is a fake. Here are five things the scammers often do but the IRS will not do. Any one of these five things is a tell-tale sign of a scam. The IRS will never:

1. Call to demand immediate payment, nor will we call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill..
  2. Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
  3. Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
  4. Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
  5. Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.

The only local office you would want to go to is the local IRS.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS and asking for money, here’s what you should do:

• If you know you owe taxes or think you might owe, call the IRS at 1.***-***-****. The IRS workers can help you with a payment issue.
  • If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to believe that you do, report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) at 1.***-***-**** or at www.tigta.gov.
  • You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Impostor Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.