Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My fiancé is in Amsterdam picking up her inheritance of gold

Customer Question

my fiancé is in Amsterdam picking up her inheritance of gold bars from her deceased father and bringing back to the united states.
She is shipping to my address . The gold is coming via Vinko shipping and security. It is currently being held up in London UK. They are telling her she needs something called a tax certificate.
What is this and will there be additional fees once in US?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi My name's Lane

...

Yes the UK is one of the many countries that tax international sipmemts kc gold amd silved

...

The US does not

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the rate of the tax, and why are they taxing if YK is not final destination ?
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I believe its 20 %

and the why is because their import/export law allows

the service must be declaring to customs

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Denmark 25% Belgium 21% Ireland 21% Austria 20% Italy 20% United Kingdom 20% France 19.6% Netherlands 19% Spain 18% Luxembourg 15% Germany 19%

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is an inheritance. A large volume of gold. She does not have 20% in cash to pay that kind of tax without selling some of the gold ! What to do ?
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I could very well be that it's been declared incorrectly AND I am a US tax expert, I'm not certain of the rates.

...

There's another possibility, and that is they're talking about a certificate of residency, which would show that she nor you are not a UK resident, thereby owing inheritance tax

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I just called the number below and got a "this person isn't here right now" message Quite interesting, given that it's business hours everywhere in the US right now

...

United States Office

Phone: +1(###) ###-####br />E-mail: *****@******.***

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I called also and got the same response . I do have a tracking number and when I put it in , it shows the progression of travel . It also shows my name and address for the destination. What do you think . My fiancé is still in europe
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I'm really at a loss ... If you like I can opt out and see if someone else can help OR I can dig a little more.

...

I tried the UK office and got a "this international call can't be completed as dialed" message

...

Bear with me one more moment

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Are you certain (and she) that this is left to her by her father?

...

This is beginning to sound like a familiar scam pattern (as it relates to someone that she DOESN'T know telling her that she has this inheritance that she never knew about)

...

In the scam, a person claims to be transporting gold (an inheritance) to the U.S., or other country, but along the way, they get detained. THEN the victim is asked to send the person who is transporting the gold, sufficient cash to purchase a an import or transport license, or customs taxes, or inheritance tax, and sometimes travel money because customes requires it etc.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure. Is the shipping company legitimate? How to tell ? Like you did I tried calling too
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

I think that they are likely not ... Was your Fiance asked to use THEIR preferred shipping company?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

https://glassmagazine.com/glassblog/warning-fake-shipping-company-scam

...

The site is really cheap... And guess what ... Found another site for another shipping company

...

SAME PHONE NUMBER ... Same recording

...

See This: http://www.tglobalshipping.com/about-us.php#

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

This is a scam ... How much money are they asking for?

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Also notice grammar errors at the bottom ... Comma where period should be ... same UK phone umber as well

...

I'd be very careful about giving them bank information, credit card, etc.

...

If you have already, you may want to have it shit down and a new card issued

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

In the "latest tweets" section (bottom right of page) it's downright nonsense:

...

"On the other hand, wedenounce with righteous indignation and dislike men who are so beguiled and demoralized"

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

..

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Asking her for 16k . Of course I sent nothing
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Good ... seems this stuff is still rampant out there.

...

Glad I could help. If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking“submit")

...

Thanks,

Lane