How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15723
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i report Municipal Bond Interest?

Customer Question

How do i report Municipal Bond Interest?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Reporting tax-exempt interest. Total your tax-exempt interest (such as interest or accrued OID on certain state and municipal bonds, including zero coupon municipal bonds) reported on Form 1099-INT, box 8, and exempt-interest dividends from a mutual fund or other regulated investment company reported on Form 1099-DIV, box 10. Add these amounts to any other tax-exempt interest you received. Report the total on line 8b of Form 1040A or Form 1040.

If you file Form 1040EZ, enter “TEI” and the amount in the space to the left of line 2. Do not add tax-exempt interest in the total on Form 1040EZ, line 2.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.