Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Director
37297873

I have received a 1099c for a mobile home mortgage that was

Customer Question

I have received a 1099c for a mobile home mortgage that was given to my ex-wife in divorce proceedings 20? year ago. Two different collection agency's have contacted me and I have explained this to them and offered them a copy of my divorce judgement which they have declined. What can I do with this debt discharge 7,691.28... Thank you Timothy D. Sparks.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I do well paying my own taxes. I can not afford two homes.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 1 month ago.

Dispute the validity of the debt... You have protections under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The divorce decree is the basis for your dispute; you must dispute in writing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To Whom? How?

I would dispute the debt with the original creditor and both collection agencies.

Here is a government website with help on how to write the letter: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/1403/what-if-i-believe-i-do-not-owe-debt-or-i-want-more-information-about-the-debt.html