Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am a single mother with an 18 mo old baby. I worked part

Customer Question

i am a single mother with an 18 mo old baby. I worked part time last year bar tending (mostly cash income). The 1099's I got amount to $3200 total. Do I have to file? and would I get money back due to child credit?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you are required to file. The amount form the 1099MISC income is well over the $400 that demands you file.
The Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) is a refundable credit that you may receive if your Child Tax Credit is greater than the total amount of income taxes you owe, as long as you had an earned income of at least $3,000.
Please let me know if you need more information.
If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont understand. Is the refundable credit greater than the taxes I owe on the $3200. Considering I have both me and her to claim.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Yes it would be. YOU have to file the Schedule C (or Schedule C EZ) and the 1040 form. YOu will see that there is Self Employment tax but the credit should cover that and you can also try for Earned Income Credit.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Did that clarify for you?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.