How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé was working on a rig in the waters of CANADA he

Customer Question

My fiancé was working on a rig in the waters of CANADA he spent all his cash,he then got paid by Exxon mobile in a check but then Canada came at him for taxes and he owes $100,000 in taxes we sent $45,000 so far but they will not let him go to cash his check to pay the taxes.what can we do?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Toronto,ontarioCanada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO, I can not talk to him they took his phone from him.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes I have no money so I can not pay anything I sent all my MONEY OVER THERE TO TRY TO GET HIM HOME.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 2 months ago.

I am a little confused; the facts seen odd and unusual. Can you explain you question in more detail as I am not sure what you are trying to ask. Second, Canada does not prevent people from leaving the country just because they owe taxes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Apparently they do cause he is in custody until he pays up.
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 2 months ago.

Custody by whom and where? Is he a US Citizen or Canadian? Also, how long have you known him?

Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 2 months ago.

The only thing I can find is this: "individuals can face prison time for offences such as providing false or deceptive statements, destroying, altering, or disposing of books and records, or willfully evading or attempting to evade taxes". Or, "tax evasion or fraud related to claiming an inappropriate tax refund or credit". Those are very serious charges. Just owing tax is not enough to land in prison. And, from what I read, the Canadian Revenue Agency won't detail people who make reasonable efforts to pay taxes even if delinquent.