Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My fiancé was working on a rig in the waters of CANADA he

Customer Question

My fiancé was working on a rig in the waters of CANADA he spent all his cash,he then got paid by Exxon mobile in a check but then Canada came at him for taxes and he owes $100,000 in taxes we sent $45,000 so far but they will not let him go to cash his check to pay the taxes.what can we do?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Toronto,ontarioCanada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO, I can not talk to him they took his phone from him.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes I have no money so I can not pay anything I sent all my MONEY OVER THERE TO TRY TO GET HIM HOME.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 2 months ago.

I am a little confused; the facts seen odd and unusual. Can you explain you question in more detail as I am not sure what you are trying to ask. Second, Canada does not prevent people from leaving the country just because they owe taxes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Apparently they do cause he is in custody until he pays up.

Custody by whom and where? Is he a US Citizen or Canadian? Also, how long have you known him?

The only thing I can find is this: "individuals can face prison time for offences such as providing false or deceptive statements, destroying, altering, or disposing of books and records, or willfully evading or attempting to evade taxes". Or, "tax evasion or fraud related to claiming an inappropriate tax refund or credit". Those are very serious charges. Just owing tax is not enough to land in prison. And, from what I read, the Canadian Revenue Agency won't detail people who make reasonable efforts to pay taxes even if delinquent.