Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am disabled and on social security I was told I do not

Customer Question
have to file a 1040...
I am disabled and on social security I was told I do not have to file a 1040 because I do not make yhat much is this true
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have copd and bring in 20,076 dollars a year and unable to work
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: House payment 875. untillities 350. insurance for wife 150. then there is food and gas and car insurance and tags
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
5/11/2017
Tax Professional: Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I would disagree with the advice you have received. All taxpayers within income (including Social Security) must file a tax return. Unfortunately, you cannot file a 1040EZ, but you can file form 1040A; the 1040A allows those receiving Social Security to claim the higher deduction for taxpayers over age 65 without the complexity of a traditional 1040.

Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher