How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12676
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1040 was e-filed with the wrong state and zip code, how can

Customer Question

1040 was e-filed with the wrong state and zip code, how can this be corrected
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I e-filled 1040 with the wrong state and zip code on the return, I need to make correction, how?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.


You'll have to file an amended return. (Form 1040X)


The 1040X is used when ANYTHING needs to be changed. It must be paper filed, however,


In THIS case the form will be very simple because the only thing that changes is the State and Zip code

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Here's the form. In the "reason for changes box just cay "inadvertently entered wrong state and zip code."



Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the time & expertise here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!



I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986