Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am newly elected secretary for my tax exempt organization.

Customer Question
What reports to the State...
I am newly elected secretary for my tax exempt organization. What reports to the State are required and how often?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My organization is the Guilford Historical Society in Guilford VT. We have had tax exempt status after inception of the organization since 1972. I want to make sure I am complying with State tax requirements for my organization.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Yes. Apparently in past years somehow, the EIN # used in annual reporting to the IRS has been a different EIN # from the original and happens to be the EiN # of another organization with the same name located in Maine. From records I have been given, not sure we presently have tax exempt status. I have written to the IRS explaining the use of a different EIN# ***** our original and am awaiting their guidance as how to proceed.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
5/11/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 6 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance,a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist)designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, SocialSecurity/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment and I’ll provide myinitial response and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

As a nonprofit corporation or a nonprofit cooperative corporation you must renew your nonprofit registration every two years, beginning the first year following initial registration, by filing a biennial report anytime between January 1 and April 1.

...

This is a pretty straightforward process:

...

1. Log into Vermoint's Online Business Service Center.
    • If you are a returning customer, please use an existing User ID and Password ***** you may already have.
    • If you are a first-time filer, just select "Create User Account" and create your own login. Please keep this safe for use in future filings.
      ...
  2. Select “File your Annual/Biennial Report" under VT SEC OF STATE ONLINE SERVICES from the Main Menu. (left side of page)
    ...
  3. Follow the on-screen prompts & confirm, update, or enter all required information.

Here's where you go to file:

...

https://www.vtsosonline.com/online/Account?referrer=AR

...

And here's an excellent step by step filing set of filing directions with screenshots

...

DETAILED FILING GUIDE

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS