Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I work from my home in Colorado..Oklahoma is saying i owe

Customer Question

i work from my home in Colorado..Oklahoma is saying i owe them 5k in state income tax...i have never worked in OK? the company i work for does have an office in OK but has its home office in KC KS?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i want to know if they can garnish my check or but a lean on my bank account in Colorado?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I would like to answer your question. Please give me a little time to review and draft a response.

This sounds like you need to investigate why Oklahoma is calculating that you owe them $5,000. You state your employer has an office in that state. They only way you would be liable in OK is if you worked there. Could it be that your employer made an error in reporting your State wages to OK? Did your W-2 show your state as Denver or Oklahoma?

Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with additional information.

If you employer withheld OK state taxes on your W-2, that is the reason OK is contacting you and stating you have a tax liability. OK is ASSUMING you are an OK resident for tax purposes, which you are not.

If your W-2 is showing OK state taxes withheld, you will need to file a NONRESIDENT OK state return to resolve this issue with OK.

Your employer should not be withholding OK state income tax if you reside and work in CO.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know.

Thank you.