Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Am I required to pay my accountant for taxes that he has not

Customer Question
even completed yet? JA: What state...
Am I required to pay my accountant for taxes that he has not even completed yet?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Am I required to pay my accountant for taxes that he has not even completed yet?Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My accountant still have not completed my 2013 2014 or 2015 taxes. Initially he said it was because he didn't have all the documents. Once I get them the documents he then said it was because he was too busy as it was taxis in. Now that text season is over he saying it's because we owe him money for the work he's done on the taxes. However there's no evidence that they're even completed and he's not here to sign anything so that they can be sent to the IRS.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
5/10/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 6 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are not required to pay for returns that is not finished and the accountant cannot held you hostage by not giving you original documents. But he is not required to give you any workpapers prepared by him: returns, schedules, calculations or notes. You can request your original documents and walk away and he cannot stop you.

Any questions?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney