How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have my Canadian PR card. I have never worked or filed taxes

Customer Question

I am American and have my Canadian PR card. I have never worked or filed taxes in Canada. I have a US pension, and my wife draws spousal pension from it. My wife is a Canadian citizen and has never worked in the USA. My wife files two different tax returns, one in the USA to claim her earnings from the spousal pension, and one in Canada where she claims her Canadian earnings. My wife would be considered low-income in both countries, even with combined earnings. If she would apply for Old Age Security (OAS) and the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) in Canada would that somehow affect her US spousal pension or how she files her taxes?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question. Can you explain the nature of the pension that she receives benefits from so I can better answer your question.