How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3173
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not filed taxes in a very time. I contacted the IRS

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have not filed taxes in a very long time. I contacted the IRS to try to get things straigt and they have told me that I have to have file tax returns for 2011 on. My husband has been filing either as Married filing Seperate or Head of Household during this time. WOuld it be possible for us to go back and file jointly (amended return for him) for the years I need to file?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported? I called the irs and reported myself. I have until May 28th to file for every year since 2011
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name Eva and I will be happy to help you.

2011 - 2013 closed years, which means the IRS will not accept any claims for a refund any more for these years and and it may or may not accept amended return. You can still change 2014 through 2016 and file a joint return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I run 2011 through as married filing seperatly it says I owe 2876, 2012 says I owe 994. I am certain that if I turned them in as an amended return with my husband (he would be amended, I did not file) we would not owe. I am not worried about recieving a refun. I will definalty change 2014 through 2016 to ammended returns with my husband
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Well, that's the problem. Because he filed his returns on time, his statute of limitation had expired while yours have not started yet. The IRS will most likely not accept his amended returns if that would mean no taxes for you. It will be up to the IRS reviewer's discretion to accept it or not. You can try but if the IRS already discovered that you did not file, the answer will most likely be no.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I have the information I needed today. Thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome.