How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matthew Breecher Your Own Question
Matthew Breecher
Matthew Breecher, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 286
Experience:  Director
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Matthew Breecher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a minor league team looking to see if the need to

Customer Question

There is a minor league team looking to see if the need to register in the states their teams will be in this season. States are ND, IN, KS, IA, SD, MN and KS- they reside in TX.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

Generally speaking, the answer is yes. I don't have experience with minor league teams, but having dealt with professional baseball players, they have approximately 210 duty days in which their income is allocated to the states they play, and they pay taxes in every state they are active from the beginning of spring training. Thus, the employer generally withholds and reports in all of those states.


Additionally, different states have different rules regarding payroll reporting when employees (say other club personnel, like trainers, etc.) are active in that state; however, most states have a minimum number of hours before this kicks in (usually 80 hours, but sometimes as little as 40). That, and the club itself is earning revenue and paying employees in each state it plays; therefore, the club has to file a return in that state and deal with all other employment issues, if applicable, in each state. But, as each state is different, they would have to research the rules in each state they are going to be active in.

Expert:  Matthew Breecher replied 4 months ago.

I hope I answered your question with sufficient detail, accuracy, and completeness based on the facts communicated. I would be happy to expand my answer should you need clarification; before you rate my answer. Accordingly, please rate my answer, based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good or bad news/content. We (the experts) are only compensated when an answer is accepted and rated. I appreciate your prompt response. Sincerely, ***** ***** Breecher, CPA.