How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4622
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my wife fail to pay taxes before I married her. Am I

Customer Question

If my wife fail to pay taxes before I married her. Am I liable to pay her delinquent taxes after we got married? She had been married twice before me. We filed jointly because her accountant said it help case. Now the IRS is threating to take my stocks and wages garishiment. I have never had tax problem until this. I was around when these tax problems started. I moved down here in West Virginia 3yrs after the fact.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Accountant. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: My is a doctor she can afford this filed for Bankruptcy last year. Now IRS want my assets. Since I have lived here in WV I have always paid my taxes. Why should I be penalized?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.
I'mCustomer I'll assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.
You ate not liable for her tax debts before you married her. And the tax authorities know that. But titling of jointly owned assets could mean that joint assets might be in play, like joint bank accounts or equity in a home.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I handle this situation with our accountant? or the IRS
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.
You can defend yourself now, but a review of your income and assets is appropriate first. Then, review how to isolate her tax debt, and insure it is still due. But this typically takes review with a tax pro. Do not try this yourself.
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.
I suggest another tax pro, as filing jointly opened up all of this. You might extricate yourself, but it will cost you.
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.
A quality tax pro will build a defense and isolate her debt from your family
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.
assets and income. Then it can be dealt with.
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for asking at just answer. I'll offer a phone call for more detailed review. I'mCustomer
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.

Hi again.Customerfollowing up on your question.

If you need anything more, please ask. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my assistance on our rating scale.