Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional
Experience:  Managing Director at Caros Group
98767339

If I have a partial lump sum option distribution, I can I

Customer Question

If I have a partial lump sum option distribution, I can I avoid paying so many taxes? If I'm retiring early?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am a 56 year old teacher retiring early. My teacher retirement is asking for me to rollover or find a suitable rollover plan or I will be charged 20% Federal income tax. Is there a way to avoid this?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I plan to use the lump sum to pay bills and my daughter's tuition.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chad CFP ® replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a Certified Financial Planning ® Professional. Welcome to JustAnswer!

To avoid the automatic 20% withholding charge from your teacher retirement plan you could transfer your distribution to a IRA. Most banks offer IRA's that you could either invest in or place in a money market account.

"Rolling over" your distribution directly into a IRA will allow you to avoid the automatic withholding. You can open an IRA online with many different firms or at a local financial institution. Some teachers have availability to a Credit Union that will assist you.

Once the funds are in the IRA you will have more control over the distribution and withholding amounts and spread distribution out over years.

I hope I answered your question with sufficient detail, accuracy, and completeness based on the facts communicated. I would be happy to expand my answer should you need clarification. Accordingly, please rate my response, based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good or bad news/content. We (the experts) are only compensated when an answer is accepted and rated. I appreciate your prompt response.

Are you satisfied with the Answer you received?

If you are satisfied with the Answer, please accept the Answer and rate my service. Accepting the Answer and Rating my service cost you nothing extra, but does notify JustAnswer that I have completed my assigned work.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to Ask.

You can rate me by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit

I look forward to working with you in the future and I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

I noticed this question has not been closed. If you have any further questions please let me know. If your initial question has been answered please close the question and rate my response.

I appreciate your time.

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional