Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Y I estimate my tax rehold to be $45,000. I want to buy a

Customer Question
y I estimate my tax...
y I estimate my tax rehold to be $45,000 . I want to buy a house here in San jose Ca so I can get as much of it back as possible through interest deduction. What would be the value of the house that I am looking for. I am filing single with no other deduction
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
5/8/2017
Tax Professional: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in California – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, and the California and National Associations of Realtors.

The issue here is not the price of the home, because the price of the home is not deductible. The issue is the annual mortgage interest that you will pay, because that is your largest deduction.

If you actually owe $46,000 in taxes, you would need to divide that number by the sum of both your state and federal "effective" income tax rate (i.e., the tax that you pay divided by your taxable (not adjusted) income. The reason for this is that you don't get a dollar for dollar deduction. Your deduction is only worth the percentage value of your effective tax. For example, if you earn $200,000 taxable income before adjustments, and you will owe $46,000 in taxes, then your effective tax rate would be 46/200 = 23% effective tax. You would need to have a home loan that generates at least $200,000 in interest payments to offset the $46,000 tax liability. Assuming that you can borrow at 4.25% interest, that would be a home loan of approximately $4.7 million.

The above calculations assume that this is not a rental property, because with a rental you would also have depreciation in addition to the loan interest -- but, you would also have additional income from the rental, which may increase your tax liability.

Bot***** *****ne, to entirely erase $46,000 in tax liability, you would need to purchase a very expensive home. It can be done, but it may not be as easy as you may believe.

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you my personal contact info, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer