Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a question regarding amended tax returns. I am a

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a question regarding amended tax returns. I am a nonresident alien in the US, and I filed forms 1040A for the years 2014 and 2015. I was not aware that I needed to file 1040NR. The tax software I used also included a claim that only citizens qualify for. I wanted to know how I can file a corrected return and pay back any money I might owe to the IRS.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Nothing else.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2017
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 9 months ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

You'll have to file Form 1040X to make the correction.

You will have to attach a completed Form 1040NR to support the corrected figures on the 1040X. Basically you'll have to complete the 1040NR first and then you will be able to show the adjustments from the original 1040A you filed.

You'll need a 1040X for each year.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert