Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Federal income tax question to determine if gift taxes are…

Federal income tax question...

Federal income tax question to determine if gift taxes are involved.

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oklahoma

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Purchased a house 13 years ago with my son. I was listed as a co-borrower and also on the deed. Now selling the house. Proceeds from the sale = $64,000. I plan to take $12,000 in expenses and costs related to the sale and have the remainder transferred to my son. Concern is that the IRS may view anything over the $14,000 gift tax amount as a gift and impose taxes accordingly.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

During the first few years my son lived in the house he had two room mates and I wrote-off 2/3 of the mortgage interest as a rental. For the last 8 of the 13 years of ownership he has taken 100% and made all of the payments.

4/21/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

There is no gift tax imposed on any gift in excess of the $14,000 annual exemption, unless the total of all lifetime gifts to all persons as reported to the IRS exceeds $5,490,000.00 (2017 amount; indexed upwards each calendar year).

Most people never reach the tax threshold amount. But, you must report the gift, regardless, on IRS Form 709.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, if the total proceeds = $64,000 and I keep $12,000 to cover expenses, that leaves $52,000; half would be $26,000 each. However, my son is taking the entire $52,000, couldn't the IRS view anything over the $14,000 portion of my share ($12,000) as a taxable gift?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I prefer not to switch to a live call. Thank you!

There is no tax on any gift in excess of $14,000, unless the total lifetime gifts of the donor exceeds $5,490,000.00. So, the answer is, "no."

Thanks for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then why do they specify $14,000 per year; doesn't make sense. $5,490,000 divided by $14,000 = 392 years. What am I missing?

The $14,000 exemption is a vestigial provision of the Internal Revenue Code that was not repealed during the George W. Bush Presidential Administration, when the estate and gift laws were changed to increase the lifetime gift exclusion from $1,000,000 per person, to $5,000,000, indexed annually. It is, in fact, a relatively useless statute for most persons. However, for certain very wealthy persons, it is possible to donate $14,000 to each of an unlimited number of individuals and not have any of the donations count against the $5,000,000 threshold amount (currently $5,490,000). Example:

Bill Gates wants to gift $14,000 to each of 1,000 students who have shown great promise in their educational efforts. He can make a total gift of $14,000,000, and it will have no effect whatsoever on the current $5,490,000 lifetime gift tax exclusion amount.

For the average person, this sort of donation is silly. But, sometimes a grandparent will make $14,000 gifts to perhaps 5 or more grandchildren and children. In such cases the $14,000 annual exemption makes some sense, because it leaves the $5,000,000 untouched to be used at the grandparent's death for their estate transfer.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great answer! So even though I am just a co-borrower on the mortgage, and listed second on the deed, I need to file an IRS Form 709?
If yes, what amount would I need to report on the IRS Form 709 as a gift?
- The entire amount of the proceeds from the sale divided by 2: $64,000 / 2 = $32,000; or
- The amount of the proceeds from the sale, minus expenses, divided by two: $64,000 - $12,000 / 2 = $26,000; or
- $32,000 - $14,000 = $18,000; or
- $26,000 - $14,000 = $12,000; or
- $14,000
Thanks for all of your help!

Lawyers are horrible accountants (and that includes tax lawyers, like me ;->). I don't feel comfortable providing you with a definitive number, because I don't know all the specific facts.

In general, however, whatever amount you would have been entitled to were you to not gift anything to your son is the value of the gift. If you were only a co-borrower, then you wouldn't be entitled to any of the proceeds of sale -- so, the gift would be the other way around -- from your son to you -- and there would still be no tax.

But, if you and you son had an agreement under which you would share the proceeds, then if you were entitled to one half of the net, then your gift would be that half to which you are entitled.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Thanks again for all of your help and thorough explanations! I just hope Turbo Tax has the 709 included next year. What a horrendous form!! Have a great weekend!

You're welcome and a great weekend to you as well!

Thanks again for using Justanswer!