Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In 2014 IRS lost my tax forms for a year and a half along…

Customer Question
In 2014 IRS lost my...
In 2014 IRS lost my tax forms for a year and a half along with my $7800 refund. They never explained what happened, but after numerous letters, phone calls, and sitting on hold, they finally found it, apologized and sent my refund with interest late last fall. However in the mean time, a year ago when I filed my 2015 taxes last year they were put on hold because my 2014 taxes were an open case. The people at IRS I had finally gotten to talk with me and resolve my 2014 case say they can't help with with my 2015 taxes because they are the wrong department. They say there is no problem with my 2015 taxes, I just need to wait. But that is what was said with my 2014 taxes before they ended up lost. What do you suggest I do to get my 2015 tax refund? I am afraid that the longer time that goes by the harder it is going to be to get the $7000 back. (Note I was able to file my 2016 taxes with no trouble and have confirmed they were accepted).
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
4/21/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 10 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Your best approach would be to contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS)

Here are some additional information

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/

TAS is an independent organization within the IRS. Their job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly and that you know and understand your rights.

See specific contact information here - select your state

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/contact-us

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor