Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I missed the deadline to request a filing extension due to…

I missed the deadline...

I missed the deadline to request a filing extension due to health problems. I've never missed a tax deadline before. Got disconnected from my call to the IRS. How can I get my request for more time through?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I'd like to file an extension--can submit taxes and check for what will be owed within the week. Is this still possible?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I will likely owe taxes as I needed to take an early distribution from my SEP-IRA. Need to collect all the info needed to file medical expenses, higher education expenses, etc. I've not been well, then got the news my son has a serious condition. Just didn't get taxes done on time this year.

4/19/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

There's no extension for filing extension. If you missed the deadline there's nothing that can be done. Also, the extension is for time to file, not for time to pay. If you owe your deadline to pay was yesterday, with or without the extension. If you know how much you owe sent the payment with 1040V voucher. If you do not know exactly, just estimate. As long as you do not have any balance you do not have to worry about the extension. All late fees and penalties are calculated from the balance due. If you do not owe anything you can file your return any time without penalty.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I should just proceed with filing as soon as possible and mail any tax amount owed--then the IRS will notify me of any penalty due for filing late? Is that penalty compounded daily? or just a percentage of the taxes due?

Yes. You can mail a check or pay with your credit card online. The penalty are compounded daily, it is about 3% per month. But if you make the payment today or tomorrow the penalty will be negligent. Once you file your return the IRS will notify you if there's any penalty over $5.

Thank you so much--that helps a lot.

You're welcome. Many taxpayers do not realize that all penalties and fees are calculated from the balance due. As long as you pay it all by April 15 (18 this year) or you are due a refund you really do not need to worry about extension.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser