How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chad CFP ® Your Own Question
Chad CFP ®
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 635
Experience:  Managing Director at Caros Group
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Chad CFP ® is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I financed a piece of property and built a house with my

This answer was rated:

I financed a piece of property and built a house with my daughter for her and her husband. When I/ we obtained the property I put it in my name only....maybe a mistake. They are going to get a mortgage now and pay me back. I'm not selling it to them...I have just been their bank for this project. They have put a lot of their money and labor into this project. My question is: How do we avoid excise tax when they pay me back?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of

Hello, My Name is Chad.

To clarify:

The property is currently titled in your name.

Your daughter and her husband plan on obtaining a mortgage with a bank and use the proceeds from the mortgage to pay you back.

Once you are paid back, you will then transfer the title to your daughter or your daughter and her husband.


The excise tax is a tax on the transfer of the title. I'm in New York where the tax is two dollars for each $500.

For example: on a property with a sale price of $200,000 the excise tax would be $800.

If I understand you correctly the title transfer/sale price will be:

1) what you paid for the land Plus, your cost. Labor, materials, etc.

The transfer price should be far less then the fair market value since your daughter and husband have put their own money and labor into the project. You can't avoid the excise tax, unless your state doesn't have it, but you can minimize the tax.

This applies if you are receiving your return of capital only. If the bank is paying you the full loan to value amount directly then keep good records for your taxes.

With the information given, I think you did a good job of limiting the excise tax while also limiting your liability, but make sure you document everything.

Before your daughter and son in law finalize the mortgage agreement with the bank, I would make sure I understood the how the settlement check will be written and processed.

If you have any follow up questions please let me know.

If this answer was satisfactory then please take amoment to rate my service.

If you have any follow up questions please let me know.


Chad CFP ® professional


JustAnswer has not received a rating for this question and answer.

I would appreciate it, if you took a minute to rate my answer or I will not be compensated by JustAnswer for my work.

Please let me know if you have ANY remaining questions .

Thank you for your time.


Chad CFP ® professional

Chad CFP ® and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you