Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hopefully. One question. I'm filing a new Partnership Return

Customer Question
Hopefully. One question. I'm filing...
Hopefully. One question. I'm filing a new Partnership Return (for Minnesota). Can the Partnership elect "where" the income comes from for an individual partner? For example, the Partnership earned a small amount of Minnesota income and most of the income was from outside of Minnesota. Can the Partnership elect that the one Minnesota resident receive ALL of the Minnesota income, while two other non-Minnesota resident Partners receive their income excluding the Minnesota income (so that the non-Minnesota residents would not have to file Minnesota State returns. All partners would still receive 1/3 of the profits.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
4/19/2017
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 7 months ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

No. That type of allocation of gross receipts would not be permitted.

By agreement you can alter the percentages of net income to each partner but you can't designate or allocate the source of profit or net income to any partner.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert