How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcia Mitrano Your Own Question
Marcia Mitrano
Marcia Mitrano,
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 23
Experience:  Marcia M Mitrano, CPA at Marcia M Mitrano, CPA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marcia Mitrano is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am non-resident who owns a single-member LLC in Nevada,

Customer Question

I am non-resident who owns a single-member LLC in Nevada, which made about $3500 in profit last year.
1. Do I have to file a 1040NR? I've heard that there is exemption for up to $4000.
2. If I have to file when is my due date? IRS says non-residents who didn't receive U.S. wages can file until June 15th. I'm not sure if my passive LLC income qualifies as wages.
Please let me know asap.
Thank you.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marcia Mitrano replied 3 months ago.


The 1040NR exemption from filing is the allowed exemption amount, which for 2016 is $4.050. However, this is based on gross receipts, not net income. That is, income received before any deductions.

If you are a US citizen, and are outside of the US on the tax deadline date, there is an election for an extension to June 15th.

Thank you,

Marcia M Mitrano