How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29798
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My income is survivor benefits from social security and is

Customer Question

my income is survivor benefits from social security and is non taxable so I do not file taxes but I took out money of my IRA and received a 1099-R form from my credit union. Do I need to file. They took out state and federal out already?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. Thanks
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

Filing requirements usually starts from income $10350
Can you verify what amount is reported on form 1099R boxes 1 and 2a,

and also what the total amount of your social security benefits?

I will help you with determination.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My total amount of social security income was $10,248. Box 1 from 1099R is $18384.30 and 2a is 18,384.30
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

Considering your information

- assuming you are single, below 65

- you are required to file

- your social security benefits will NOT be taxable in this situation

- your ONLY taxable income is 18384.30 from box 2a 1099R

Your tax liability on that distribution is estimated as $800

minus any amount withheld - see form 1099R box 4
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.