How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29962
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a senior citizen. Last year I only made $4,332.70 and

Customer Question

I am a senior citizen. Last year I only made $4,332.70 and no federal income tax was withheld. $268.63 social security tax was withheld. Do I file a tax return?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was out of work a lot due to injuries received on the job.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I received $659.00 a month social security last year.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

Based on your information - NONE of your social security benefits are taxable.
SO - your ONLY taxable income is from your job $4,332.70

That is below filing requirements - which is $10350 for singles - so you are not required to file.

You do not have any federal income tax withheld - so you may not expect any refund - and there is no reason for you to file.
The only possible reason could be if you are below 65 - and woudl be eligible for Earned Income credit.

Otherwise - you are not required to file and if you choose to file - there will not be any financial benefits

Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.