Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Our CPA retired and we do not have our return ready. How do

Customer Question
Our CPA retired and we...
Our CPA retired and we do not have our return ready. How do we get an extension?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: He says we lack a form from Social Security. We have the form which tells how much we received each month. Will that do?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: That's all that seems to be keeping us from meeting the deadline.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
4/18/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 9 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

What he's referring to is form 1099-SSA. Is this the form that you have? (It will say 1099-SSA across the top).

...

Social Security knows that people can lose the paper documentation. This is why they created "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, etc.

...

You can go there, log in (or set up your account AND log in if you've never used it) and print your documents immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab

...

If you choose one of the other two ways to get the form (calling or going into a local office) you likely should get an extension.

...

You can do that by filing this form (detach the bottom of page 1, and send to the address for your state on page 4)

...

Here's the form: https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-4868

If you DO choose not to (or are not able to use) the online site, by calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.

...

OR

...

You can get one by going to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

...

Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS