How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brian Michels Your Own Question
Brian Michels
Brian Michels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Partner at Michels & Hanley CPAs, LLP
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Brian Michels is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is this a free service, what is the fee? ok...ask you the

Customer Question

is this a free service
JA: The Accountant's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: what is the fee?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Accountant. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok...ask you the question here?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My son was a full time college student for 2016. He also worked and filed his taxes. When asked if he could be claimed on another return, he checked NO. My return was rejected when i filed claiming him. Can this be fixed so i can claim him this year?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: his return was filed and the refund has come through.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brian Michels replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. I look forward to helping you with your issue today. It appears that your son claimed himself as an exemption when he filed his tax return vs. indicating that he was claimed as a dependent on someone elses tax return. Because of this he may have received a larger tax refund that if he indicated that he did NOT claim himself. To correct this he would need to file an amended return indicating that someone else claimed him as a dependent on their tax return (you). If he received a refund he may have to give some of that back as he most likely received more than he should have. If some of it has to be paid back the amended return should be completed today and the payment back to the IRS should be put in the mail today to avoid penalties and interest. With regards ***** ***** tax return you will have to paper file your tax return as it will get bounced back from the IRS since they already have a tax return on file from your son and his SS# ***** himself.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just so i know i am correct, i need to file today an amended return both federal and state? if there is money to be returned, can i then file an extension in order to have more time to pay it back. I understand there will be interest added to this extension.
Expert:  Brian Michels replied 2 months ago.

You will need to file an amended return for your son's tax return today because if there is tax due back to the IRS and state (because he received refunds greater than he should have) the money is due by the tax filing deadline, which is today. You can't file for an extension since a tax return was already filed for your son. You could apply for an installment agreement with the IRS using Form 9465. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. If you need assistance filing the amended returns I am available to assist.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Enter the original exemption amount How do i determine this? Wages $4502 AGI $4502.00
Expert:  Brian Michels replied 2 months ago.

The original exemption amount can be included on his tax return, which is probably $4,050 since he claimed himself. This would come from Line 42 of Form 1040.