Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

This is a head of household question. Two 20 year olds live

this is a head of...
this is a head of household question.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Two 20 year olds live with her mom (grandma). The mother to the child has no income. The father to the child does have an income and contributes to the bills but does not have ownership in the home. Child is on Medicaid. Can father claim head of household?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: The child was born in Sept 2016. Father lived at a different resident prior to child being born but lived with mom and child after birth
4/18/2017
Brian Michels
Brian Michels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. I look forward to helping you with your issue today. In determining whether the father can claim head of household filing status he needs to meet the following tests: 1) The father must not be married at the end of the year, 2) the father must pay more than half the cost of keeping up his home 3) the home was the principal residence for more than half the year of the qualifying child. If the father lived with the child after he/she was born then the father can claim HOH status as his child is a qualifying child.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Brian Michels
Brian Michels
Brian Michels