How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive SSD and my son, who was under 18 during 2016

Customer Question

Hi, I receive SSD and my son, who was under 18 during 2016 received SocialSecurity income based onmy disability. Do I add his SSA 1099 into my incomesince I am claiming him as dependant?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Hello??
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: did u not just getmy last question?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I had some income also,but only about $5000
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

Do NOT include your son's social security benefits into YOUR income.

That is not your income -.

Regardless if you claim your son as a dependent.

If your other income is $5000 - none of your social security benefits would be taxable.

And your only taxable income will be that amount $5000

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thx. does he need to file taxes if he didn't have any income except for the SS? Where does that income get reported?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Even if those benefits are based on my disability and not his? Also, does he need to file taxes if those were his only source of income?
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

If social security benefits is his ONLY income NONE will be taxable and he would NOT be required to file the tax returns.

It doesn't matter HOW benefits are determined - regardless - they are paid to your son and that is HIS income.

But because that is ONLY his income - nothing is taxable.