How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an L1 in US since Sep 2016. Fo my retruns of 2016 can I

Customer Question

I am an L1 in US since Sep 2016. Fo my retruns of 2016 can I claim my two daughters aged 4 and 9 as my dependents? They do not have a SSN number.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: For deductions pertaining to expenses of my children am unable to make deductions without my children being dependents (rule requires Citizens/ Residents).
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Both my children do not have an SSN No / ITIN No. I can apply for one but obviously will be late for filing my returns
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 months ago.

You will NOT be able to claim a dependent without having tax identification for that dependent.

What you may do now

- apply for ITIN using form W7 and attach your tax return to that application.

The IRS will assigned the date you main as your filing date - so it will not be late,

but will process ITIN application first - and only after that will start processing your tax return.

Meanwhile a you have only one day left - you may file an extension request to gain additional time .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks so if I do file my returns and get the childrens' ITIM created - can I file a revised return subsequently to claim the dependent related deductions I may be entitled ?
Expert:  Lev replied 2 months ago.

Yes - that is possible to file without children and amend your tax return later adding qualified dependents.

But please be aware - if your children qualify for SSNs - you will need to apply to the SSA and get SSNs assigned .

Related Tax Questions