Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an L1 in US since Sep 2016. Fo my retruns of 2016 can I

Customer Question
claim my two daughters aged...
I am an L1 in US since Sep 2016. Fo my retruns of 2016 can I claim my two daughters aged 4 and 9 as my dependents? They do not have a SSN number.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: For deductions pertaining to expenses of my children am unable to make deductions without my children being dependents (rule requires Citizens/ Residents).
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Both my children do not have an SSN No / ITIN No. I can apply for one but obviously will be late for filing my returns
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
4/18/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You will NOT be able to claim a dependent without having tax identification for that dependent.

What you may do now

- apply for ITIN using form W7 and attach your tax return to that application.

The IRS will assigned the date you main as your filing date - so it will not be late,

but will process ITIN application first - and only after that will start processing your tax return.

Meanwhile a you have only one day left - you may file an extension request to gain additional time .

Thanks so if I do file my returns and get the childrens' ITIM created - can I file a revised return subsequently to claim the dependent related deductions I may be entitled ?

Yes - that is possible to file without children and amend your tax return later adding qualified dependents.

But please be aware - if your children qualify for SSNs - you will need to apply to the SSA and get SSNs assigned .

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor