How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12459
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Re tax extension, My husband has been sick for a few months

Customer Question

re tax extension
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband has been sick for a few months and just had surgery last Tuesday. He is insisting on doing our taxes himself with Turbotax help as he usually does, but is not feeling up to it at this time. I am sure we will be getting a refund and will not have to pay any taxes. What form do I need to use for an extension?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: We refinanced our house in December, that would be the only difference than in the past years. Incomes have stayed approximately the same and we claim 0 dependents through the year.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.


Because it doesn't look like you'll owe (loan re-finance proceeds are not taxable ... and the additional interest COULD even be cause for a larger refund), you can simply file form 4868.


Here's the form:



You can ALSO do an extension THROUGH Turbo-tax OR even through one of the free eFile packages out there.


But if you're not comfortable with that, just print out the file I've linked for you, fill out the few lines on the bottom of page one (it's a tear-off form) ... essentially Name Address and Social, along with the following lines:


4 Estimate of total tax liability for 2016 . . $0

5 Total 2016 payments . . . . . .0

6 Balance due. $0

Subtract line 5 from line 4 (see instructions) . . . . . . .

7 Amount you’re paying (see instructions) . . ▶ $0

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Then get in the mail by tomorrow (postmarked by the 18th) to the address shown for your state on page 4 of that document.


Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!


I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents since 1986