Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I live in IL but worked some of the year in IN. I was taxed

Customer Question

I live in IL but worked some of the year in IN. I was taxed in IN for my wages. Why do I have to be retaxed in IL for work in IN?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I lived only in IL for all of 2016
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

You won't be taxed twice.

It's just the way the system works. In your resident state, all of your income must be reported on your resident state's return. However, your resident state will give you credit against your resident state's tax for the tax paid to the state where you worked and paid income tax on your earnings. So, IL will give you a credit against the IL tax for the tax you paid to IN.

You will need to file a Non-Resident return in IN.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit from the site for assisting you this evening.

Thanks very much,