How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29574
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child was awarded a "tax free scholarship" (let's call

Customer Question

My child was awarded a "tax free scholarship" (let's call this Scholarship A). As it is designated a tax free scholarship, it is to be used for tuition and fees. Child received another scholarship (Scholarship B) that completely covers tuition. Can we pay taxes on Scholarship A and apply it towards room and board?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 months ago.

Yes - you will report taxable scholarship on line 7 form 1040 - put abbreviation "SCH" on the dotted line.

That will be on child's tax return - so most likely it will not be taxable unless there are additional additional income items.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.