How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received some Social Security from my late husband's

Customer Question

I received some Social Security from my late husband's account. I know I will probably need to pay it back, but do I still file it as income or not?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a teacher pension, so I don't think I am entitled to my husband's social security. SS has sent me some anyway. Do I need to claim it as income or not. I think I may have to repay some of it to SS.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Since I received the SS amount, I have to pay an Additional $4000.00. Do I pay it on my taxes, or not count it as income and wait until SS talks with me?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

Some issues we need to clarify..

1. Are you above your FRA - full retirement age ?

2. if you have any earned income - from wages or self-employment? If yes - there might be a limit how much you may earn.

3. What is your other taxable income? earned and unearned? - rental, pension, etc?

I will verify and explain all possible options.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not retire until sept. I am 66. I got 750.00 rental property , plus my salary until August. Then I got my teacher pension starting in Sept.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

At age 66 - you are at your FRA - so - your social security benefits will NOT be affected by your earning.

Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

However a part of your social security benefits will be taxable and added to your other taxable income.
I will verify the taxable amount - but would need to know

- total amount of your social security benefits and

- total amount of your other taxable income