Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am a G4 visa holder, and I work at the IMF I am renting an

Customer Question

hello I am a G4 visa holder
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: and I work at the IMF I am renting an apartment currently which I list on Airbnb sometimes when I am away and I have earned 2300$ last year in income from it could you please let me know if I need to file income taxes? for teh amount that I have earned on Airbnb?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I have been living in t eUS since 2009 for the first 6 years I was a graduate student and since October 2015 I am working for the IMF on a G4 visa
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

None of your IMF wages or salary are taxable or reported on the US return. This is by virtue of your VISA.

If the apartment is in the US then yes you are required to report and file a US return. The Form 1040NR and a Schedule E attached is required for this income.

Only the rental income would be shown on the 1040NR. You are allowed on the Schedule E to also list the expenses from the rental you have.

Please rate in a positive way (look for the STARS ) so I am credited with responding.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know by posting below if you need clarification and so I know you could view the answer. If you do not require more information, a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.